Here are a few links that you might find interesting
This isn’t meant to be a comprehensive list.
Traditional Ceramic Styles
- A general overview of Medieval Islamic Ceramics from the Art Institute of Chicago.
- L.A. County Museum of Art on Islamic Art
- The Medieval Pottery Research Group
- Getty Museum exhibit on “The Arts of Fire: Islamic Influences on the Italian Renaissance”
- An overview of the Iznik Tile Industry
- A book by Walter Denney on the Art of Iznik pottery.
- An exhibit of Iznik pottery at the Eretz Israel Museum, Tel Aviv
- A beautiful Iznik tankard from the Gulbenkian Museum in Lisbon
- A tile panel from the Gulbenkian Museum
- Guide to Iznik tiles and plates
- The Rietz Collection of Persian Ceramics
- Landau Traveling Exhibition of Persian Ceramics from the Appleton Museum of Art
- The Ilkhans
- An overview of Cermics and Pottery in China; Go to the main page and under “Arts: Handicraft” click on “Earthen and Stone Ware”; don’t miss the section on porcelain—click on “Chinaware”.
- A nice website from the collection of the Asia Society;don’t miss the links to the different parts of the collection on the left.
- From the collection of the USC Pacific Asia Museum
- Craft in America website highlighting the work of many of America’s finest clay artists
Local Ceramic and Arts Organizations, Studios, Galleries and Centers
- Orange County Artists Guild (go to the gallery page to see work of individual artists)
- The Clay Centre in Carrboro
- Claymaker’s Studio in Durham
- The Crafts Center at NC State
- Carrboro Arts Center
- Chatham County Artists Guild
- FRANK Gallery, Chapel Hill
- Bakova Gallery, Hillsborough
- Hillsborough Gallery of Arts
- Cedar Creek Gallery
- Craven Allen Gallery in Durham
Some Interesting Modern Ceramic Artists (This isn’t comprehensive; just some ceramic work I like)
- Adrian Arleo
- Alan Caiger-Smith-Making Lustre (You Tube)
- Some astonishing photos of a Raku firing (Pottery by Dave & Boni Deal)
- Mark Hewitt
- Bennett Bean; an article about his work
- Mathew Metz
- Michael Simon at Cedar Creek Gallery
- Michael Simon
- Steven Forbes-deSoule (wonderful lusterous glazes)
- Matt Jones; his blog that takes on the critic Garth Clark’s dismissal of functional pottery is especially interesting.
- Michael Gustavson
- Mary-Ann Prack
- Jennifer McCurdy
- Halima Cassell; this artist’s carved ceramic work is amazing!
Other Interesting Websites (Mostly Art)
- Serigraphs By John August Swanson
- Work by Iranian Artist Hussain Zenderoudi (you can exit this site; just look for the little “exit” pop-up)
- Painting, Multi-media, and Installation by Shazia Sikander
- Hand-woven Egyptian Tapestries; in 2004 I visited the Ramses Wissa Wassef Art Academy outside of Cairo and was stunned by the astonishing beauty of much of this work. Don’t miss this site!
- Digital Photo Collages by Tommy Mintz
- The Nicholas Roerich Museum
- Painting by Katherine Sherwood
- Paintings by Pakistani Painter Abdul Rahman Chugtai in the Grosvenor Gallery
- Architectural Ornament by Jay Bonner
- Painting by Dr. Ahmed Moustafa; Mathaf Gallery
- Paintings by Bruce Herman
- Paintings by Brian Rutenberg
- Beautiful stone sculpture by Toru Oba
- Arabic Calligraphy by Pakistani Calligrapher Rasheed Butt
- An Archive of Archictectural Photos (you have to sign up and create a password)
- Anything you ever wanted to know about the academic study of Islam and Sufism at Prof. Carl Ernst’s website